Tips for conserving water at home and on the farm
- Use a watering can instead of a hosepipe when in the garden.
- Fix a dripping tap – a dripping tap can waste 15 litres of water per day or 5,500 litres per year.
- Use a bucket and sponge to wash your car.
- Turn off tap when brushing your teeth – this can save 6 litres of water per minute.
- Take a shorter shower – showers can use between 6 and 45 litres per minute.
- Always use full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher.
- Plug the sink when washing dishes.
On the Farm
- Only spread slurry in suitable weather conditions.
- When spreading ensure to keep 25 metres from the shore or riverbank.
- Collect rainwater for cleaning and watering purposes.
- Avoid contamination of surface waters by reducing or eliminating access to livestock.
- Monitor and repair leaks on pipes and taps.
- Ensure water troughs for cattle do not overflow and carry out regular maintenance.